Heathrow Scientific Parafilm®; semi-transparent. flexible, thermoplastic film; 50mm wide x 75m; 1 roll.
The Largest 100% Canadian Owned and Operated Lab Equipment Distributor and Service Provider.
Free Technical Support
In-depth and personal over-the-phone support at no cost.
Quality Parts & Accessories
Mandel uses manufacturer-specified parts for all repairs and maintenance.
Moisture-proof film molds to surface
Parafilm® M is a semi-transparent, flexible, thermoplastic film with two-way stretch.
- Non-toxic and free from plasticizers, primarily composed of polyolefins and paraffin waxes offering good resistance against acids, alkalis and some organic solvents—use not recommended with acetone, diethyl ether or tetrachloride
- Protect the integrity of research applications with a tight moisture-barrier that holds a strong seal and doesn’t release from glassware, despite off-gassing
- Reduce the risk of tampered data with a covering that is odourless, colourless and semi-transparent
- Prevents moisture and volume loss due to material composition and tight seal
- Flexible and self-sealing material allows it to cling around irregular shapes and surfaces
- Stretches more than 200% of original length
- Resistant up to 48 hours against many polar substances such as saline solutions, inorganic acids and alkaline solutions
- Two colour options available in 2” rolls (natural and purple) for colour coding purposes
- Efficient and cost-effective covering for:
- Test tubes
- Petri dishes
- Various other instruments and objects with irregular surfaces
- Overwrap to further secure stoppers, lids and caps
- Shelf or tray liner to prevent slipping of bottles or instruments
- Oxygen: (ASTM 1927-98) 150 cc/m² d at 23°C and 50% RH
- Carbon Dioxide: (Modulated IR Method) 1200 cc/m² d at 23°C and 0% RH
- Water Vapour: (ASTM F1249-01)
- Flat: 1 g/m² d at 38°C and 90% RH
- Creased: 1 g/m² d at 38°C and 90% RH
Effects of Common Reagents
- 5%: No apparent effect except permanent dark brown coloration in 18 hours
- 0.1%: Same as 5% except slightly less colour
Iodine solution (0.1N)
- No effect except staining brown in 18 hours
Ethyl Alcohol (95%)
- No apparent effect except some face whitening in 24 hours
- No apparent effect in 24 hours:
- Hydrochloric Acid conc. (12N) dil. (5n)
- Sulphuric Acid conc. (36n) dil. (5n)
- Nitric Acid conc. (16n) dil. (5n)
- Sodium Hydroxide conc. (22%)
- Ammonium Hydroxide conc. (28% NH3)
- Salt (NACL) solution (20%)
- Isopropyl Alcohol (99%)
Not recommended for use with chlorinated, non-polar aliphatic and aromatic solvents
Film becomes soft and sticky at about 130°F to 150°F (68°C)
Parafilm® is a registered trademark of Bemis Company, Inc.